Tuesday, March 15, 2016

15 March On the move and bad news

15 March

With the empty box vacated by Beatrice, Willy has decided to move Hermanus and Antonio into the main stallion ecurie. Hermanus will be in the end box so ensuring he has a view outside and also ensuring there are no other horses walking past (he doesn't tolerate this!) So now the two boxes next to Tamtam and Eric are taken by two young mares. One chestnut 2 year old mare and the older bay mare who is ridden. TT seemed a bit sad to have lost his new mate Antonio.

After mucking out the 4 boxes, I tried giving TT a brush in his box but he was having none of it. He kept turning away and putting his nose in the corner at the back of the box so I decided to leave him to it. Maybe he associates brushing with work and saddles? Who knows?

Just before lunch I got Eric out to loose school him but he was hopping lame on his right fore at walk. We called Yves (the vet) and he will be there tomorrow morning to examine Eric at 9.30am. I am feeling very worried. W thinks it is his shoulder but I think it is his tendon....I've seen this before with Shantie. I think he may have done something when we went for the fast hack with the caleche a few days ago...I remember at one point shouting in english (as I was angry and I can't speak french when I am angry) for them to slow down .... I said W has 30 horses but I only have one and he means everything to me! And now look!      If that was when it happened it has been exacerbated by the work I have done since then (loose schooling and then the hack in walk yesterday)....and that makes me feel terrible.

Maybe I am wrong and dear God I hope I am. I have had Eric for 12 years and he has only been unlevel once....when the farrier had over-trimmed his hinds. I have always been very careful with him...no trotting on the roads etc etc. I have wrapped him in cotton wool because I wanted him to last....then in the last month already two issues.

In the afternoon we made one of our regular visits to Josephine's. Willy gave her a jumping lesson in the manege. First of all bending the mare in trot and canter using jump supports as bending poles then grid work. A set of 3 jumps with a bounce in between and then one stride to a bigger oxer. Josephine rode very quietly. The mare was very straight. They are creating a strong trusting relationship. It is great to see.


1 comment:

  1. Always a pitty when "something" happens....hope it will be okay.
    Working with horses always contains some level of danger, we sometimes forget
    Anyway...KEEP FAITH!

    Don't let emotions overrule. Hope we can read about some good results from the examination afterwards

    ReplyDelete