Sunday, March 6, 2016

3 March The spark that lit the inferno...a lesson in safety

3 March

I spent the morning at the Gite catching up on things like the cleaning and shopping. Someone has to do it!!
Anna and F helped Willy with the young horses, F reported that Anna fell off the bay gelding twice. Luckily there is a sand surface to the school and Anna is very supple so is unhurt. This is despite not wearing any protection. I have remarked several times that she should be wearing gloves, a back protector and steel toe capped boots but so far she has chosen not to take my advice or my offer of lending my equipment. I don't understand the mentality that put protective boots on the young horse but not protecting yourself.

I was however at the stables to witness a problem created through lack of communication/anticipation between Anna and F. Anna was bringing the young black mare from the stables to the wash box when F was leading a young chestnut mare in the opposite direction. Both had been playing up individually before they met head on in the narrower space between the manege and the hedge. If one had waited there would not have been a problem...but both carried on and the two kicked off big time and all the stallions and other horses in the stables joined in. All hell broke loose....mayhem! Luckily Willy stepped in and prevented what could have been a very costly error. Needless to say Willy was angry. Not with the horses, but with Anna and F. He said it is always that.....a problem with the people.

Afterwards we talked about why. Willy lit a match and explained how just like the little match can create an inferno it is the same with what happened with the horses. We are not machines. The horses are not machines. When Willy asks for the horses to be changed over he expects that we will think before we do it...not simply react....We must consider how to do what is required in a safe manner. I had that drilled into me with my BHS training. I hope that Anna and F have taken note. This was certainly a big reminder for me.

Before we left Willy explained that most horses are either intentionally or unintentionally kept in a low energy state. When horses are "en forme" they are "electrique". Willy encouraged us to think about the change we are likely to see in Eric and Tamtam as a result of their new regime. He asked us if we thought we would be up for handling the energy. I immediately said yes.But I noted that I hadn't ridden Eric for two weeks and that he had not been on a hack alone since arriving here....tomorrow I will start his new regime. Travaille Eric!!

No comments:

Post a Comment